Thursday, December 3, 2009

Running..

Apparently I've past my one year anniversary with running, unannounced. I've been a quasi-runner since my older sister talked me into running track my freshman year in high school. (Being talked into a sport is pretty much how my oh-so-stellar basketball career began also). I hate being guilted into things, but that's a whole 'nother blog post. This is about running...

I've been a full-fledged runner for one year now. I used to train for races and claim I was a runner, but spend as much time excusing myself from a run as actually running one. I attempted to train for a half-marathon about two years ago and ended up in Physical Therapy for my knee. After working back into running shape last fall, I made a commitment in November to be a regular runner. I figured running 3 miles a day in a healthy, consistent manner for the next 20+ years was better for me than overdoing it with a half-marathon. So, I've done exactly that. I've been running 12-15 miles a week for the last year, consistently. I'm not fast or particularly threatening in the sneakers, but I'd say, for the first time, that I'm really a runner. I've done one 10K and a few 5Ks, but nothing more than that. And I love it. There's something about being the only crazy person running at 5 am with your even crazier dog that's refreshing.

Maybe one day I'll get to the marathon that's on my Bucket List. Until then, I'll keep at it.

1 comment:

Emily Bradford Routon said...

Yey to my running friend! very proud, happy anniversary... i'll be celebrating my 20th in January!