Monday, June 15, 2009

Sweet Tweet

@Twitter:

Here are the reasons why I do not tweet, twit, twirp, or twist:

#1 - The whole concept of twitter supports that American ideal that each individual is the center of the universe. Honestly, who cares what we are doing every second of every day? Why do we have the need to feel that someone does?

#2 - Twitter gives me the creepy feeling that I'm eavesdropping on someone else's conversation. It's sort of like the awkward inside joke that you don't know, but feel compelled to pretend to laugh at. If you want to share something with someone, why not share it with only that person? Why share it with the rest of the world, as well? Heck, that's what DM is for, right? (Case in point: Either right now you're feeling included because you know what DM is or you feel excluded because you don't. It's Twit terminology for Direct Message. No worries, I had to ask.)

#3 - It creates community where, in fact, there is none. With Twitter, often the people who read the updates are unknown to each other. I hardly care what I'm doing each minute of every day, much less what people I don't even know are doing each second of every day.

That's why I'm not on Facebook, either. I'm not sure I like living in an era where 'social networking' is literally done on a network. I like to be hard to find. Maybe one day I'll join the crowd. For the rebel in me, though, most of the reason I haven't is simply because everyone else has.

1 comment:

Dana E. said...

Stick it to the man! :)